You know the expression: “something old, something new / something borrowed, something blue.” I hear it, most often, in the context of weddings and that’s the best way I know about it – I’ve been thinking about that a lot as I’m getting married this October and I’ve decided to apply it to my gaming hours as of late and my blog, as well. First and foremost, I’m going to be changing up the posting to this blog so that way not only can I post more often but also keep myself satisfied with the quality of the content. What do you have to look forward to? I’m glad you asked:
- Quickie Reviews: This is pretty self-explanatory. I have a lot of games for all of my consoles and the game plan is to do reviews for games I don’t really feel need to have a fully in-depth review for.
- Retro Flashback: I have a lot of retro stuff and a lot of what’s made me the kind of gamer I am now is steeped in my childhood. I like to reminisce and this is my chance to do just that.
- News O’Day: This is basically filler content, yes, where I spin my opinion on the topic for the day.
- Game O’Day: Same idea as the last but this is a bit more meaningful – at least to me – in an attempt to share my joy for games that I feel don’t quite get the attention they often deserve.
- Blog Asides: Short blurbs that get certain thoughts out but don’t exactly deserve a full blog post.
- Gaming Polls: This may or may not be short-lived and periodical. I don’t like polls all that much but it is a good way to gauge viewership.
- Contests: This is something I will reserve until I know I get a certain viewership going but I will be offering contests eventually. Almost all of them are not planned to be trivia-based but rather challenge-based. I don’t like something that just anyone can Google, not to mention this is how I’d win contests in rags like GamePro, back in the day.
- Gamer Memes: This won’t be regular but sometimes I feel like finding and making gaming memes. Also an attempt to expand my readership.
- Video Content: Once I get the hang of video editing and learning how to actually shoot reliably, I plan on doing a good deal of this new content on YouTube. With the wedding coming up, though, I honestly think this will be on hold for a while.
As you can see, I’m planning on expanding my blog quite a bit with more regular content so that way people have even more of a reason to read what I have to say instead of coming because I posted something on N4G and Reddit. We shall see how effective that’ll be!
I beg to differ, though: while my attempts at web publishing have often met with failure, for the most part, I’ve had a lot of problems in the past with reaching my audience; there are plenty of tools to help me with that, now, and I plan on seeing these things through.
As far as what I’ve been playing, lately, the theme comes through, too – I will be doing my first Quickie Reviews for them – for something old, I picked up Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection; for something new, I am playing Remember Me; for something borrowed, I picked up a used copy of Two Worlds II. As for something blue, well, maybe I’ll play something from the Mega Man games or play as the Blue Bomber in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. In any case, I’ve been bringing myself out of my usual norm as far as playing games is concerned.
That’s about it – stay tuned to the blog, Quickie Reviews are to follow, soon!